Australian GT at Wilson Security Sandown 500

2015 Australian GT Championship | Sydney Motorsport Park

Article and Images by Rhys Vandersyde

Australian GT  | Weekend Wrap Up – Sandown in Melbourne Victoria played host to the penultimate round of the Australian GT Championship over the weekend. It was also the final round to held in Australia with the final round at Highlands Park Raceway in Queenstown, New Zealand.


Qualifying was made up by two 20 minute qualifying sessions held on Friday afternoon. The two sessions gave cars with two drivers a chance for both drivers to set a lap time to determine the grid for Saturday’s first race.

At the end of the two sessions in was Jono Lester fastest with a time of 1:08.9004 in the Trass Family Motorsport Ferrari 458 GT3, narrowly eclipsing the time of Tony D’Alberto in the Maranello Motorsport Ferrari 458 GT3. Nathan Antunes finished the session with third fastest time in the Skwirk/Beechwood Homes Audi R8 Ultra.

Race 1

The first hour long race for the weekend would take place as the sun was setting over the Sandown circuit on Saturday afternoon.

While the race would be relatively uneventful, Geoff Emery would fail to make the start when his Erebus Motorsport Mercedes Benz AMG SLS suffered battery issues on the grid. Out in front Tony D’Alberto and Grant Denyer (No. 88 Maranello Motorsports Ferrari 458) would benefit from a shorter compulsory stop time to get out in front of Jono Lester and Graeme Smyth (No. 27 Trass Family Motorsports Ferrari 458) to take the win.

The car of Lester and Smyth would later get a penalty for not completing their minimum pit stop time dropping them from second to eighth on the results.

As a result of the penalty to Trass Family Motorsports the official results for Race 1 would see the Maranello Motorsport’s car of D’Alberto and Denyer take the win. Morgan Haber would move up to second in his Erebus Motorsport Mercedes Benz AMG SLS while Chris Mies/Ryan Millier moved up to third on the No. 74 JAMEC PEM Racing Audi R8.

Images by Rhys Vandersyde

Race 2

After finishing as the last race on the Sandown 500 schedule for Saturday, Australian GT’s second race would kick off on-track action for Sunday morning with their second race of the weekend.

It was another relatively quiet race for the competitors. However with the driver ranking’s setting the mandated stop time for the compulsory pit stops, they would jumble up the order mid race.

Chris Mies and Ryan Millier (No. 74 JAMEC PEM Racing Audi R8) would benefit from their stops moving into the lead of the race while Tony D’Alberto and Grant Denyer (No. 88 Maranello Motorsports Ferrari 458) tumbled down the order.

Mies and Millier would hold off a late charge by Morgan Haber (No. 28 Erebus Motorsport Mercedes Benz AMG SLS) to take the win. Earl Barbour and Glen Wood would finish the race in third in the Interlloy M Motorsport (Lamborghini Gallardo GT3).

Next Round

The final round of the Australian GT championship takes place in November in New Zealand, at Tony Quinn’s Highlands Park Raceway.

For Australian GT Championship coverage, subscribe and follow MyDrive.

Feedback and Links

Feedback or questions on this article, please use the comment field, or click for contact details.

For details on the Australian GT Championship, click >

For Foxtel coverage details, click >

Stay in touch with MyDrive via social media!

The MyDrive social media network now includes, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, LinkedIn and RSS Feed. The MyDrive social media sites can be accessed by clicking the relevant social media icons situated below and on the right-hand side menu bar on any page throughout the MyDrive Media website.

MyDrive | FacebookMyDrive | Google PlusMyDrive | LinkedInMyDrive | YouTubeMyDrive | Home PageMyDrive | Instagram MyDrive | Twitter MyDrive | RSS Feed


Comments are closed